Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Flying Low



There is a momma cardinal in this picture.  Can you find her?  She blends in SO well, minus her bright orange beak. (This is like my red lipstick, right?) 

I sat at my kitchen table, and watched her fly from across the street. She flew so low – not more than two feet off the ground – I thought she was landing in the middle of the yard. 

She flew at that “altitude” all the way to the feeder by the window.  Straight to the bird feeder, between waves of torrential down pours.  She was soaking wet.  All business, this bird.

It’s crazy weather.  Rain all day and night, flash flood warnings, severe thunderstorms.  I am settled in at home, many things that I should be doing floating through my mind. I really just want my kids and husband to come home safely.  With weather like this, I want the essentials (my family near me) and am thankful for the basics (shelter, food, warmth). 

This momma cardinal reminded me that sometimes, during storms, we mommas have to fly low.  We have to be all business, essentials only. 

Our wings might be wet from our struggles -- what life has rained down on us.  

We need to be ready to land at anytime.

ANY time.

There are other days and other seasons for flitting around the neighborhood beautifully and gracefully.  When the storm has passed, there will be time for making beautiful nests and melodic song.

But for now, in this storm, it’s necessities only.  And it is enough.

Don’t be ashamed to fly low, soaking wet, blending in with your surroundings during your storm.   Do what you need to do, (because that is often all you CAN do), and don’t worry what other people think. 


I PROMISE, your wings will dry and you will fly higher another day.  

1 comment: