If you asked
me how to get there, I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly.
I’d tell you
to stay to the right, go over the bridge next to the weeping willow, up past
the Jewish section, and then it’s on the right.
I just get
there instinctively. The years have made
this part of my internal compass which knows the right direction.
I pull up
and see a man in the next section, sitting in a lawn chair, next to (what I’m
assuming) is his wife. He's reading a paper. If I were
him, I’d do the same thing. I’d come and
sit, read, and maybe talk to her for a while. If I lived close enough, I’d try to come once a day.
I stole this
time away from my family, from my kids. I don’t
always come. My trips back home are
fewer and far between. This isn't always a priority.
Yet coming
here, being here, is good for me.
I just left
a very sweet time of conversation and laughter with a friend who knows my
heart. I leave that to come here. And I will leave this quiet place to rejoin
my family and all those boisterous children full of energy and innocence.
I come for
this reminder. This is my reality.
Every Good Thing in my life tastes sweeter
now. Sitting here for a time orders my life.
I will mindfully
wave to the man in the chair. I will
gently smile and nod at the family dressed in their fancy black clothes.
We share this place. This peace. This reality.
I take note
of the section. But I remind myself, she's not really here. As her
gravestone says, she’s “In God’s Loving Care.”
No comments:
Post a Comment