April
30, 2014 Getting
Started
I recently read that people who are accustomed to
failure are often people who think little of taking risks.
There are exceptions, but I get the general
principle. If failure is such a
part of the past, there is little fear in trying something new.
If you consistently feel out of your comfort zone, walk around in tension, or with a sense of unease on your life’s
journey - taking a risk hardly seems to carry the same weight for someone who never has these experiences.
On the other hand, there are those people who are afraid of failure. They hardly ever do anything risky, and –
obviously – stay in their lane, play it safe, and just ride through life …
And in my case, am left wondering ...What
If…
Right now, I am those people.
Not that I haven’t
experienced failure, hardship, devastating life events - but
generally speaking – I look at myself and see someone who is successfully
safe.
Up until 18, I had no particularly hard trials in
life. Normal growing up stuff. My trials were things like moving, fights
with friends and parents, acne.
Then mom died.
And
I just tried to SURVIVE. I continued
going through life – college, then marriage, and work. I did it. I made it
through my hardship.
I survived, and that
was success.
Then Chris had his surgery, and again, it was survival
mode. We did our best. We continued getting through life. And one day (and after some therapy) we
realized we did it. We made it through
that hardship. WE SURVIVED.
Again, simply surviving was success.
Since then, I’ve largely been trying to just find Safe
Normal.
Having kids, as wonderful as it
is, throws normal out the window, and you have to find New Normal. Then you have another, and you hope to find a
new New Normal. Then you move, and have
one more squishy baby, and you see an even newer New Normal emerging on the
horizon and you realize “I’m happy and secure and things aren’t perfect, but
they are good”.
I’m safe, I’m settling in… and I’m happy here, because up till now, there has been no such safe normal settling in my life.
There has been a remarkable amount of
transition. MOST of it was good stuff – don’t
get me wrong. But change is change.
I’m in my safe lane now and I know it -- because I am
staring to wonder … What If…
But I freeze. I’m
frozen.
[Insert: me singing “Let It Go” … Just a reminder: there was ALOT of FROZEN being
watched and sung here in April 2014].
I want to write. But, I’m afraid of failure. I’m not used to taking risks. I’m used to taking life’s cards and doing the
best with the hand I’m dealt.
Yet I finally asked myself – and if you get to this point too – ask yourself…
What is failure? What is success?
For me - Success is actually writing to for my children. Sharing my heart. Pointing them to God’s love.
What I need to do is just start and stop being so afraid.
I will try to remember (and want you to remember):
- The path you’re on is the right one.
- Put one foot in front of the other. (This is a step by
step process).
- Just show up, you're not late.
I don’t exactly know what all this will all look like, but
I’m confident that failure is not even trying.
No comments:
Post a Comment