Friday, February 27, 2015

My Tears


My tears are not under my control. They have become entitled and act as if they own themselves.  Ever vigilant, they wait patiently, collectively ready to burst forth.   Like a sly little army, they can quietly build an unbalanced liquid wall that inevitably tumbles down my cheek in any given situation.    

You could find me tearing up (or straight-up crying) at my children’s piano recital, over a handmade card, while singing at church, on my couch during a commercial, while laughing, or any other time where emotions could possibly be felt.  

I see them now a bit like I see my children – as much a part of me as they could possibly be, from my own body, yet with a will of their own.

Although my tears can appear at any given moment, for any given reason – I want you to know that I rarely cry truly sad or mad tears.   (To be honest, I know that if I start those kinds of tears, they won’t stop easily).  I have seen dark days, but my life is largely filled with hope and contentment.   

My tears appear because of the Beautiful, Meaningful, or Worshipful.  Because My-Heart-Hurts-For-You-and-With-You.  Because of the Gentle or Joyful.  

I am painfully aware that my tender heart empties tears so it can continue to beat and feel and share and not harden.

The tears I cry now are a consequence, a privilege even, a prize won after contending with the overpowering tears of grief and fear. 

Because I have experienced my own deep hurt and I work in an environment which catapults families into horrible nightmares of the unknown, the natural empathy with which I was born magnifies and translates into an acute sensitivity to what is Good.  To Small Graces.  I bear witness of Blessings big and small. 

My tears the tangible reminder that there is love, joy, goodness, peace in the midst of a troubled world full of heartbreak, loneliness, and suffering.

My tears used to embarrass me, but I no longer fight with them.   They come unannounced and unassuming.  Although I am at their mercy,  I embrace them. For they are a signal.  

          Pay Attention!

          This is Important!

         This is Worthwhile!

         This is Beauty!

         This is God speaking to you…

I will cry for commercials, yes.  (I’m an easy target, and I don’t care how much or how often my kids and husband laugh. Those commercials are made to be sweet and sad, and they ARE, and I FEEL it).   But I will also share your hurt, your joy, your struggle, my joy, and (if it’s safe enough) my own hurt, and my own hopes with my tears.

Beautiful depth-of-my-heart tears make me simultaneously vulnerable and invincible.  Once they are loose, I cannot hide.  Yet they fortify me, as they point me to observing God at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment