Discussing friendship, I gently probe, trying to get at the
heart of the issue. I ask questions,
offer suggestions, even try role playing. Finally, exasperated, she says “But
I’m too nice to say no!”
Well. Isn’t that
insightful? My little eight year old
has figured out, in her young age, in her own words, she is a people pleaser.
Sitting at the breakfast table, unassuming in our pajamas,
we have struck life-lesson gold.
Let me clarify: My daughter
has no problem saying no to me. She has
no problem bossing around her brothers. In the security of unconditional love, she
asserts herself with ease.
Even her dad
will run smack into a foot stomping no every once in a while.
Like any mother does, I blame myself. Since she was little, I've encouraged her to
think of others first. Think of their feelings, try to be nice, don’t be
selfish. As the oldest myself, I should
know better. I have demanded too much of
her and often disciplined when I didn't get it.
I consider her natural thoughtfulness, her innate gentle and
caring ways. Born little and sweet, she has
always been a joy. She is a gift.
I've encouraged my daughter to lean into her natural
tendency to defer. Because it doesn't really matter who plays what, who sits next to whom, or who is in charge. Just enjoy being together and play with your
friends!
Nature and nurture synergy.
When kids are little, a mom’s influence wraps around every
part of her children’s lives. When it
comes to playing, we make them take turns, show them how to share, say things
like Everyone gets to be the Queen! and OneTwoThree:Switch!
Eventually, thank God, they learn to play on their own. Thrilled, we grant independence and before long,
we shove them out the door and find ourselves now saying things like Work it Out!
(And maybe even throw in an honest I don’t Care! or Go Back Outside!)
Like letting them brush their own teeth, it’s only when the
dentist calls you over to see all the food hanging out by their gums, you
realize maybe he isn’t actually old enough to do this all by himself. One fastidious child is reliably Up-Down-All-Arounding
, while the other is actually just staring in the mirror, sucking the toothpaste
off his toothbrush for two minutes, before calling it a day. Parental supervision is still necessary.
So how does a parent teach a self-proclaimed pushover to stand
up for herself? Like most mothers, I
have no idea what I’m actually doing. I start by asking more questions.
Do you ever want
to say no? Do you feel like you SHOULD say
no? Do you ever wish you said no?
My mom-alarm is ringing. At eight, not saying no means she continues
to be The Dog every time they play pet shop at recess. At 15, not being able to stand up for herself
has altogether different consequences.
Teenage risk taking aside, how many times, as an adult, have I felt the cringe of wanting to say no or
the panic of needing to say no? How many
times have I heard nearly identical ‘I’m too nice to say no’ declarations from women
five times her age?
More questions. Do
you think only mean people say No? Do friends ever get mad at each other? Is
being nice the same as being a good friend?
I don’t want my daughter assuming friendship is
one sided and that she’s being a good friend by keeping up a facade.
I want her to recognize when she consistently feels a subtle but painful sting saying no brings. Each sting small and harmless, and even harder to acknowledge — but a deep unhealthy wound develops in what she assumes is a good friendship.
It’s not our job to “fix” bold and controlling friends, young or old. But responsibility lies in identifying a friendship built on nothing more than the shifting sand of subjective niceties.
Accumulating unsaid No’s is destructive and dishonest. Seeming so innocuous, resentful Yes’s betray no one but yourself.
As she grows, I want her to cultivate
friendships with people who give and take, who compromise and see other points
of view. I want her to be confident enough
to seek out genuine friendship. I understand I still have a roll to play in teaching and
modeling this type of friendship.
Honey – I love that you’re kind and sweet and
thoughtful. Other people love that too, and I'm positive you will know many friends in
your life. Please pursue deep friendships,
even when they take time, that are built in truth and love. I hope you will understand, even when it’s
hard, the nicest thing you can do for a friend (including yourself) is to be
brave enough to be honest, especially if that means saying No.
No comments:
Post a Comment